Artfully Applying A Line Around Your Eyes Can Make Them Appear Bigger And More Dramatic But Can Take So Much Time and Effort !
Comparing Traditional Methods Of Applying Eyeliner To Permanent Makeup
It can take up to 20 minutes each day to define and accentuate the shape of your eyes with either a soft line or a dramatic stroke, it takes time but like everything becomes easier with practice. However, did you realise just 20 minutes a day adds up to a whopping 122 hours per year of your life just juggling with a pencil in the mirror!!
Lets Look At 4 Different Types of Topical Eyeliner & How to Apply Each One
Depending on its texture, eyeliner can be softly smudged or clearly defined and each of these following four main formulas produces a different effect.
- Soft Pencil Eyeliner: gives your eyes soft definition and can be wax-based or powder-based, this effect can be done permanently.How To: Hold the pencil as if you are about to write something, pull the skin of your upper lid taut, and place the heel of your hand on your chin. Tip: When applying to your lower eyelids hold your elbow into your body as this helps to steady your hand.Tilt your head back slightly and bring your eyes to a half-open state. This creates a good angle for application, while allowing you to see what you’re doing. Close the eye you are working on. Small strokes close in to the lashes works better rather than one long sweeping line from the inner eye to the outer eye, especially if you want to flick this line up and beyond the lash line.Smaller strokes gives you more control and creates a cleaner line. You might prefer to apply in two steps. Firstly, line the eye from the middle of the lash line outward, and then finish the line from the inner corner of the eye to the middle.As mature women our eyelid wrinkles can make it difficult to line with a pencil and this is where using a really soft wax-based pencil can work well. Apply in the usual way: in between and as close to your lashes as possible, then smudge upwards to create a ‘dark lash to light lid’ look. You may want to create a different look to wear at night so you can line the inside rims of your eyelids with a dark pencil. This is quite exotic and certainly is not for everyone.
- Soft Kohl Eyeliner: is a soft powder available in dark matte shades although black is the colour most often used. Kohl comes in pencil, pressed powder, or loose powder form. Unfortunately, kohl is more likely to smudge but this effect can be done permanently.
- Liquid Eyeliner With Winged Effect: an opaque liquid that usually comes in a small bottle or tube and is applied with a tiny brush or felt applicator. It creates a sharp, precise line the opague liquid look and is often extended past the eye to create wings. This is the most dramatic effect of all the eyeliners and is unsafe to create permanently because of where the eyeliner is placed. This effect cannot be done permanently.How To: Pencil is easier to apply than liquid but often does not stay put like a good liquid liner will. A simple way to practise and get the knack of applying a liquid line is to use it to trace over a pencil line.Liquid gives a sharp precise line. You have to know where and when to use it and a place to not use it is on your lower lash line as this is way too dramatic and heavy. (unless you are a drag queen!)Getting liquid eyeliner in your eye stings and can cause a corneal abrasion, so take care when applying.Tip: If you want a more defined line but not a harsh line; try this – Apply liquid eyeliner over your bare skin (always strive to get close to your lash line) and smudge slightly before it dries; do not blend upwards. When dry, apply a small amount of neutral shadow over the liner and eyelid. Follow the same instructions for your lower lash line. Not only will this help diminish the ‘wrinkled look’ it will give you an attractive and soft smokey appearance.Tip: If you have a steady hand try this: Starting with a naked eye, dot the liquid liner into the spaces between the lashes and wriggling into the lashes. You will end up with your lashes looking very thick at the roots … nice.
- Translucent Gel Eyeliner : is a softer liner that can be easily and precisely applied with a brush. Gel liner usually holds up very well and is much softer than kohl, this effect can be done permanentlyHow To: Gel is easy to apply and dries to a softer, almost powdery look. Apply as you would a liquid. However, you may have to retouch during the day as it doesn’t last very long.
Who Is Best Suited To Having Permanent Eyeliner?
As can be seen from all the time involved in applying your own eyeliner, which ever style you choose, can be a lengthy process, which is often repeated at least once or twice per day. So lets look at who benefits the most from getting their eyeliner permanently applied: –
- Those who want to instantly look 10 years younger
- Those who want beautifully applied natural looking eyeliner both day and night
- Those who never want to worry about makeup running ever again, even when swimming and exercising
- Natural beauties that want to ditch their daily makeup routine
- Those who never want a bad makeup day again
- Those wanting to look their very best all of the time
- Those with vision impairments, unable to see to put their makeup on
- Those under going caner treatment, who have lost their eyelashes
- Those with alopecia
- Those with jobs that require you to look your best all the time ,eg, TV Presenters, Air Hostesses, etc
Who Is Not Suited To Having Permanent Eyeliner?
- Those who want heavy dramatic jet black eyeliner
- Those wanting to create Amy Winehouse winged effect eyeliner
- Those who want eyeliner connected in the corner like Cleopatra